Wednesday, August 19, 2009

SOF: SoundSeen: Brooks and Dionne, Live with Krista | Obama's Theologian: David Brooks and E.J. Dionne on Reinhold Niebuhr and the American Present

In this age of much heated religious rhetoric on critical social issues, we should reflect on the words and legacy of a key American political and religious thinker of the last century; Reinhold Niebuhr.
When I was a student at Union Theological Seminary, I had a part time job as a security guard. When I was making my rounds late at night I thought to myself these were the same halls that Dr. Niebuhr walked. Perhaps he reflected on the critical social issues of his age late at night while walking through the halls. If walls could listen and talk.
I am posting a video of an event at Georgetown University. It is a conversation about UCC theologian Niebuhr's continuing influence on the American political scene. Two social critics, one a liberal, the other a conservative, engaged in a meaningful conversation that models civil civic discussion. Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett is a marvelous programme on public radio.

SOF: SoundSeen: Brooks and Dionne, Live with Krista | Obama's Theologian: David Brooks and E.J. Dionne on Reinhold Niebuhr and the American Present

Shared via AddThis

No comments:

Post a Comment