Saturday, July 4, 2009

For some time, I have thought about joining the 21st century, and join the rank of bloggers. Perhaps now I will start.
Yesterday, my friend and colleague, Bonnie Tinker, died in a terrible bike accident. She was in Virginia at the Friends General Conference. I found out about it from a facebook post by someone attending the meeting. I then picked up the phone and called Sara, her spouse of over thirty years, to confirm my worst fear.
We spoke briefly, she was waiting to board a plane to VA. However, we never mentioned that Bonnie died. Perhaps, I thought, she was severely injured. I called Pam Monette, chair of Love Makes A Family, and asked if she had spoken to Sara. I mentioned that Bonnie had been in an accident, but did not say that I thought she was dead. Pam called Sara, and a few minutes later called me back and confirmed my fears, Bonnie was dead.
I woke up this morning, thinking that it was a bad dream. It is not.
We were last together at the Archbishop Tutu lecture at the University of Portland a few weeks ago. We have spoken over the phone frequently since that gathering.
Bonnie was a fierce advocate for justice, crying out for the voiceless, fearless, yet gentle. She was committed to the way of peace, which did not mean she avoided confrontation (I think she was energised by confronting injustice).
Pam mentioned to me that she was concerned about Bonnie's family, and not Bonnie because she believed Bonnie was busy organising the angels. I like that.
Farewell dear friend. Thank you for your love, support, and the lessons you taught me. May your work continue here on earth, as you enter into the bosom of God.
"Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the souls of the faithfully departed,through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment